Sunday, August 15, 2010

Eat, Pray, Gag

I'm sure Elizabeth Gilbert is a lovely woman, and that her book, Eat, Pray, Love and the hit film made from it are both full of great spiritual guidance, universal truths and enlightened insights beyond my imagining. I just cannot muster the desire to explore the wisdom of a woman who sought to heal from her terrible, terrible divorce by taking a year to travel the world, poor dear. While I'm pleased for her that she was able to turn healing her broken heart into a really great career, I'm much more interested in the women left to raise children alone or those who're forced into the workplace for the first time in decades after being dumped for a younger model, or maybe the ones dealing with not ending a hopeless marriage because they can't possibly afford the divorce, or they're married to men who really can't take care of themselves. I'd even listen to the stories of the average wives just muddling through or brave women holding their heads high while stuck in dead-end jobs they hate because they, well, need to avoid homelessness and keep or provide health insurance.

Maybe I'm being unfair, and I know that these less fortunate women with fewer, um, travel options aren't nearly as, well, scenic. I also risk sounding bitter and cynical, although I really do feel happy and optimistic; I swear; pinky swear; double fuckin' pinky swear. Seriously, I don't mean to be mean. I might even really like her book or its movie. I just don't have the stomach to find out. Please, forgive me.

No comments: